The coordinates lead to a victorian apartment building on Lumbard street. It is three stories tall. The ground floor is a boba tea shop named “Bobasaurus.” The two floors above are residential.
There is a fire escape on floors two and three (an extendable ladder allows people to escape but does not provide ground-level access). Residents access the upper floors through a door that leads straight to the sidewalk. All of the fire-escape-egress windows that lead into the apartments are barred on the inside.
Bobasaurus is in the red-outlined store. The other store is currently empty and has a "for-lease" sign.
Bobasaurus is dinosaur themed boba tea store. It has a sign out front and on the window with this logo.
Inside is a small ordering area with bar seating at the windows and two small tables with plastic chairs. For the most part, it is a grab-and-go sort of place, typical of boba tea shops.
They have a unisex bathroom with a lock. The lock requires a code that anyone can get from any employee.
A pair of japanese tourists are purchasing boba tea when the Contractors arrive.
Behind the counter are two workers: a young woman and a middle-aged man. The woman is manning the register while the man is moving about doing restocking / cleaning / other work.
Anyone who searches Bobasaurus on the internet will find the following information without a roll:
- The store opened a month and a half ago.
- There are no other locations.
- It has excellent ratings on all relevant websites.
- People are especially in love with their signature drink: The Bobasaurus Rex.
Advanced research using contacts, special tactics, or a complete success on a Intellect + Investigation roll will provide the following information:
- The resturaunt is started and owned by Frank Vasquez
- They used to be a software engineer, now they own Bobasaurus.
- The ratings from customers are unusually glowing.
- Bobasaurus may be cheating the rating systems somehow (perhaps with spoofed reviews? They appear legitimate. . . )
A couple of teenage japanese girls are purchasing boba tea when the Contractors arrive. They are tourists who speak to each other in Japanese. They are simply first-time patrons who are hanging out and sight-seeing in San Francisco.
Behind the counter are two workers: a younger woman named Rebecca and an older guy named Frank Vasquez.
Rebecca is 18 years old. She just works there. She has no idea what’s going on with the boba, but she has drunk some.
Frank Vasquez: is in his mid-fourties. Franks brain has been thoroughly corrupted from the amphibian. He is now more of a fanatical cultist than a person, though he hides it fairly well. As soon as things go off the rails, he will begin ranting: “She will bathe the earth in her light! We will absorb it through our skin and be replenished!”
- The Bobasaurus-Rex (a giant milk tea with three kinds of boba and pineapple chunks)
- Taro-dactyl (a taro milk tea with boba and whipped-cheese topping)
- Bronta-boba-saurus (a simple matchta milk tea with boba)
(They also sell custom drinks, including a few without boba)
Behind the Counter
The boba shop is fairly normal behind the counter. There is one back room that has an entrance both from behind the counter and through the parking lot.
The back room’s stock is relatively good as well, though the boba is all contained in tupperware containers instead of any sort of productized packaging. The back room is locked and only Frank has the key.
Finding the Source
Detecting Delta Radiation
The Detect-o-magics will alert in the following circumstances
- Someone within 30 feet drinks a boba for the first time.
- The detect-o-magic will buzz and flash for 7 seconds.
- The Contractors can't get a bead on the location of the delta ray connection unless they are anticipating the event, have the detect-o-magics out, and are willing to wave them around the person who indicates.
- If they do, have any Contractors using the device roll Perception + (Investigation, Alertness, or Science).
- Partial success: the source is in either the second or third-floor apartment above this building.
- Complete success: the source is probably in the second-floor apartment bathroom.
- They are within 1 foot of Frank
- Frank has a strong and continuous delta radiation signal, and he is the only one.
Visitors to the Store
As the Contractors investigate, time passes. Customers come and go. Some will eat in, others will get their orders to-go. Some have drank the boba before, some have not.
- A trio of brogrammers (think frat bro software engineers)
- A pair of businessmen wearing expensive suits
- A college-aged couple on a first date.
Team B: Professor Jennifer Yang
Professor Yang will arrive with 2-4 traid gangsters and immeditately investigate the main area. It is your choice when to introduce them. If the Contractors are making good time, give them a while. If the Contractors are dragging their feet, you can introduce them earlier.
Unless the Contractors interfere, team B will do the following:
- After they look around, Jennifer will order several drinks to go and immediately store them in an ice chest in the SUV she arrived in.
- Jennifer and her goons will then break into the back room from the parking lot. Frank will find her, and they will threaten him with their guns, tie him up, and begin interrogating him.
- This will cause the detect-o-magics to go off as Frank and the alien transmit.
- Soon after kidnapping Frank, Professor Yang and his muscle will go upstairs, unlock his apartment with his key, and capture the alien.
- One of the gangsters will get stung and will be suffering from the effects.
- They will escape over the bay bridge, pursued by the alien's protectors.
If they accomplish this, the Contractors will, of course, fail.
Triad Gangster Stats
- Initiative: 6 dice
- Attack with pistols: 6 dice
- Body: 7, Mind: 5
- (Average human in all other respects)
These are standard city apartments. There is only a single door to access them, and it is at street-level in between the building's two shops (see the picture).
- There are buzzers for each apartment.
- Two apartments have people home and will answer the buzzer, but they are suspicious of unexpected visitors.
- A great cover story may convince them to buzz the Contractors in.
- The front door has a standard commercial deadbolt lock.
- It can be picked with the proper tools, but it will take time and probably attract attention (and get the police called).
- There is a fire escape.
- Contractors can climb up to it with a Dexterity + Athletics roll, Difficulty 8 (lower with proper equipment).
- Once on the fire escape, its ladder can be lowered to the street.
- It is up to you whether you put bars on the inside of the apartment windows. (depending on desired challenge level)
- Frank's apartment is locked.
- Another standard commercial door lock.
- Frank is not home and holds the only key.
- There are a multitude of additional deadbolt locks on the inside, but they are not engaged since Frank is not home.
Frank’s Apartment (no 2)
Frank's apartment is a simple one-bedroom apartment. The front door enters into the living room. Standing at the door, the Contractors can see the dining nook and part of the kitchen in one direction, and in the other, a short hallway that leads to the bedroom and bathroom.
The Living Room, Dining Room, and Bedroom
These rooms are all very spartan, almost as though this place is a rental. There is no decor or family photos. There is little clutter or signs of living.
Similar to the rest of the house, the kitchen is surprisingly bare. However, there are a multitude of tupperware containers all over, including in the sink.
The fridge contains some bottles of Soylent (a real-life drink product that people use to substitute meals) and some tupperware containers full of boba.
The alien in Frank’s apartment lays in the bathtub, which has been converted into a boba-y soup with little floating balls and a lime green foam on top.
The alien itself looks like a cross between a toad and a centipede. She has 16 webbed legs, bumpy, warty skin, and a thick abdominal “tail” that is swollen with eggs and churns passively all the time. There is a small barb at the tip of her tail, which it may raise above its head like a scorpion when threatened. Her eyes are golden with dramatic horizontal slits. Its lips are uncannily human, and it has a snake-like tongue with two long tendrils that wiggle around in the air while it’s extended.
She does not emerge from the bathtub, and the bath tub's murkey water (looks a bit like a matchta boba tea with pearls and foam) prevents the Contractors from seeing her.
She will attack the intruders if they reach into the bathtub or try to grab her. Her stinger has 6 dice to hit and will ignore any Armor that does not cover the arms.
Anyone who is stung receives a Severity-1 Injury as a painful stinging sensation spreads down their arm. After 5 minutes, the wound will begin to bubble with boba-like alien eggs, and the Injury will worsen by 1 Severity.
Capturing the Alien
She can be contained in a metal soup pot or through other means. In the case of the soup pot, a Contractor must close the lid manually (using both hands) or using some clever equipment / tactic.
Her psychic powers will go wild when she gets kidnapped, causing lots of other people who she has hypnotized earlier to attack the contractors as much as they can, in cars or on foot, from wherever they happened to be. This will cause the Detect-o-magics to go absolutely crazy, beeping and flashing.
Once captured, ask everyone who was stung or who ate a boba to roll Mind, Difficulty 6.
Those who fail are fully enthralled.
- Their eyes turn gold, like the alien's
- The alien controls all of their Actions
- If they receive a Severity-2 Injury or higher, they "snap out of it" and are no longer fully enthralled.
Anyone who gets an Outcome of 1-3 (partial success) is a vessel.
- The alien can control its Vessels once per hour and force them to take a single Action.
- Use this wisely. Force the escape driver to crash the car, or have a Contractor attack one of the other Contractors.
Once the Contractors get the alien, they must escape!
- Half the NPCs who recently darnk the boba for the first time will be Fully Enthralled.
- All of the NPCs who drank the boba a long time ago (including Rebecca) will be Fully Enthralled.
- No NPCs become Vessels.
NPCs that are enthralled will attack the Contractors mercilessly. They have no regard for their own personal safety or for those around them. They will attack using deadly force and improvised weapons (or actual weapons, if they have them).
Remmber to use mob combat rules for large groups of similar enemies. Note that the mob's "health" is significantly reduced by the fact that taking damage ends the mind control effect.
Enthralled from all over the city make their way toward the Contractors. This means you can add any number of people you want to the encounter at any time.
- People in cars will attempt to crash into them
- People on the street will run up to them wielding knives and try to kill them.
- People will jump out of their condo's windows and try to land on them.
The Path to Escape
The shortest path takes them down lumbard street:
Give them a choice to face off against an attacking vehicle or go down lumbard street. No sane person would opt to go down lumbard street when another route exists.
Prometheus ventures will deploy a spike line at the bottom of the coit tower, and activate it once the contractors get through. They are directed via a voice to exit via a door in the garage which leads to the bottom of telegraph hill, where they may easily slip away undetected.